Camp David Presidential Retreat


PROJECT SCOPE  | Creative Direction | Illustration

CAMP DAVID PRESIDENTIAL RETREATCamp David serves as the U.S. President’s country residence and retreat. Located in the beautiful wooded hills of Catoctin Mountain Park in Frederick County, Maryland, Camp David has offered every president since Franklin D. Roosevelt a place of solitude and tranquility, and is an ideal place to host foreign leaders and dignitaries. Originally known as Hi-Catoctin, Camp David was built as a camp for federal government agents and their families. In 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established it as a presidential retreat, renaming it USS Shangri La, for the fictional Himalayan paradise in the 1933 novel, Lost Horizon. In 1953, President Dwight D. Eisenhower renamed the retreat Camp David, in honor of his grandson and father, both named David.  CREATIVE BRIEFCamp David commissioned Lisa Gorham Creative to create the new illustration of the retreat's renowned sign. This marker, which is located at various points around the property, has become a symbol of the presidential retreat. The woodcut-style illustration was first hand-drawn, then rendered digitally and vectorized for multiple media applications.